Disability Awareness Training
Organisations and individuals are often made to feel that they should understand disability. This is impossible if they have never been given the knowledge about it. We believe that the key to disability equality is all within education.
That’s where we come in to provide disability awareness. We encourage interaction in a jargon free, relaxed and fun learning environment. This disability awareness course will utilise case studies, personal reflection and peer discussion.
Our disability awareness course is an open platform, developed and lead by experts who have disabilities. We encourage honesty and transparency in our training. This is so delegates can open up and discuss what can sometimes feel like a difficult topic. We aim to challenge the myths that are often association with disability.
Our course will provide you with an understanding of:
- Access and Inclusion
- Reasonable adjustments
- Legislation including The Disability Discrimination Act and The Equality Act
- Funding available for organisations to support employees with disabilities
- Appropriate language and effective communication
- Barriers that people with disabilities face
- Innovative ways to support your disabled employees and customers
- The difference between empathy and sympathy and the appropriate use of these
- Stereotyping and unconscious bias
- The Medical and Social Model of Disability
If you find yourself asking these questions, then this disability awareness training is for you…
- What is the best way to support disabled people?
- Will certain language cause offence?
- Can I ask someone with a disability about their condition?
- How do we define what a reasonable adjustment is?
- Why don’t we get more disabled customers utilising our products and services?
- How do I approach a person with a disability?
- Might I cause offence if I offer to help a person with a disability?
- How do I talk to a person with a disability?
- Can a disabled person work as efficiently as their non-disabled peers?
- How can we make our service better for disabled customers?
Why choose us?
Collectively our trainers have over 30 years of experience in the disability sector, making them specialists and well versed in the world of disability.
All of our trainers have in depth knowledge as well as lived experience of disability, enabling them to share their experiences in a thought provoking approach.
Delegates will leave with knowledge, appreciation and awareness of disability equality issues. They will also have a clearer understanding of the barriers which people with disabilities face on a day-to-day basis.
Disability awareness training can boost morale in the workplace as the team is harmonised. Disabled employees feel understood and their peers around them feel more comfortable in working alongside and supporting their colleagues.
Customers with disabilities want to use services that are accessible and free from stress, with staff members that have the confidence and know how to support their customers with disabilities. Disability awareness training builds rapport and leaves the customer speaking positively about the service.
Who should attend?
Disability awareness training is suitable for staff on front of house who engage with customers, management, and anyone who works alongside or supports people with disabilities.
Our disability awareness training works well for those who wish to support friends, family or people with disabilities in their communities.
- Price to attend is £110.00 per person inclusive of VAT
- Suitable if you feel like you don’t have enough delegates for an in house course
In House Course:
Our in house course is suitable for all members of staff including management, directors and front of house. An in house course is also suitable for organisations that wish to up skill whole departments and teams.
- Suitable for 6-16 delegates
- Can be tailor made to the organisation’s needs
- The fee for a maximum of 16 delegates is £900.00 inclusive of VAT.
What do people say about our disability awareness training
“This disability awareness course made me feel like I could open up and be honest, that no subject was taboo.” – City of Bristol College.
”It was illuminating, well managed and informative. It provided valuable insight into the student’s world and provides some good advice. ” – Bruce T.
For more information about our in-house or open disability awareness training courses please fill out the contact form below and one of our course leaders will get back to you. Alternatively, you can contact us on 01905 21717 or email@example.com.